Be the change you want to see in the world.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

I Have a Dream

So I went to see Click with my best friend and some other friends last night, and then out to dinner at Chili's. Included in the group was a guy whom I haven't seen in a year or so. All went well, we all had a good time and whatnot.

Then, climbing into the car to go home, my best friend says to me -- "You'll never guess what [N.] said about you when you got up to go to the bathroom. You'd have kicked his ass. I almost kicked it for you."

Knowing [N.] to be pretty much an intolerable jerkwad with no respect for women whatsoever, I asked, "What?", fully expecting it to be some off-color double entendre about my having asked the cute waiter for extra whipped cream, or perhaps a snide remark about how I then proceeded to eat my tortilla chips with whipped cream. But instead, they were those five unforgivable words which every woman from puberty till natural death dreads hearing: "God, she's put on weight."

I blinked in astonishment. It was just so utterly ludicrous. I mean, I suppose it's true, in a technical sense. Three pounds. I just got on the scale, and I do, in point of fact, weigh a lousy three pounds more than I ordinarily do. Pardon my French, but WTF? This is the same guy who rails about how unattractive Hollywood waifs are and drools over curvy cuties like Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johannson -- and he has the unbelievable gall to call me overweight as I sit there in my size-six jeans. Talk about your double standards.

It's been fourteen hours now, and I'm still seething with anger. I'm desperately trying to get my health back on track, and prats like that are really not helping me. And so, I've had it. I'm through worrying about turds like that. I'm a pretty girl, and if [N.] and his ilk are too brainless and/or retarded to recognize that -- whether I'm three pounds up the scale or three pounds down -- that's their loss. I don't need some guy ogling me to validate myself, and I certainly don't need to have a protruding ribcage to be beautiful. I'm not built to be tiny -- I come from good, robust English-colonist and German-peasant stock. I'll never be a waif, and guys can deal with it. I'm not going to put my body through hell and back again anymore for the sake of attention from jackasses who I'm better off without.

I have a dream that someday my little girls will live in a world where they will not be judged by the size of their waistline but by the content of their character...

4 Comments:

Blogger Knuckles McMason said...

at the bottom of your page, as a part of your counter are links to walmart and walmart coupons. I laughed.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:53:00 AM

 
Blogger coiledrose said...

Hey there! You're beautiful, I know it, you know it, T McGuirk knows it, to hell with men. :)

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Donna-Katie said...

I know. The counter place automatically put them there ... and the irony was so rich I just had to leave them. That, and I haven't figured out how to get rid of them. :)

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:49:00 PM

 
Blogger Triumvir Vis said...

How about this: when it comes to your body, there is a certain kind of fulfillment to be sought, and this is what we would normally call "fitness" and "health." Fitness is not a number, size, or even body fat percentage. Fitness is the actualization of your body's potentential, and is usually accomplished by means of a healthy diet, physical activity, and good sleep.

One can be too light, too heavy, too thin, too shapely, too defined, and too voluptuous. One cannot be too fit. Fitness is a virtue lying in the mean, and thus something that can be endlessly sought.

If you are convinced something will help you become more fit, it's worthwhile, other things being equal. Just because something will help you lose weight, become thinner, or better conform to some ideal shape, does not mean it is a good or worthwhile thing. In fact, terribly harmful activities might be chosen in order to seek these other goals, whereas harmful activities really don't help achieve fitness.

This hugely long comment, which should just be a post on my blog, is all to say, "Who cares if [N.] thought you had gained weight, even unbecoming (to him) weight? The real question is whether you are becoming more or less fit, and what you're going to do about it if you are becoming less fit or healthy."

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 1:34:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Walmart Coupons
Walmart Walmart Coupons
Locations of visitors to this page